Click here to sign into your account  

We know 90% of tenants use the internet to find properties – that’s why we’ll list your property on the major property websites in the UK...

Find out more

We can also provide you with:

  • Gas & Electric certificates
  • Industry leading inventories
  • EPC’s
  • Legal Services
  • All trades maintenance
  • Insurance
  • Conveyancing

Questions & Answers 

What happens if my property is empty?

You must advise your insurance company in accordance with their requirements regarding empty property. Please check your insurance policy for the relevant details. If required, we can arrange insurance for you.

What are likely to be my outgoings?

These will usually include:


Buildings and/or contents insurance

Repairs to the property and contents - unless caused by the tenant

If leasehold - ground rent and service charges

Big Red House fees

If the property is empty - utilities and services

What about tax?

You will be liable to pay tax on any profit generated from letting your property - the amount of tax you pay will depend on your circumstances.

If you are overseas for more than six months in any tax year, you will be regarded as a non-resident landlord. The current legislation requires us to deduct and pay revenue tax at the basic rate unless we are in receipt of an exemption letter from the Inland Revenue. Once we are notified by the Revenue that you are exempt, we will no longer need to deduct tax.

Please note that where there are joint landlords (including married couples) an exemption is required for each landlord. For more details please discuss with an independant financial advisor.

Do I need to tell my insurance company?

Most certainly, yes - otherwise you may find your insurance is invalid. Your insurer may wish to increase the premiums or be unable to accommodate your wishes. Should you need it, we are able to offer alternative buildings and contents insurance cover. Please ask our staff for further details.

What do I do if my property is leasehold?

The managing agents or freeholders must be advised as a change in the type of occupancy may affect the buildings insurance. You should obtain the freeholders or managing agents consent prior to letting and advise us of any restrictions within the head lease which your tenant should be aware of.

Who looks after the garden?

The maintenance and upkeep of the garden is usually the responsibility of the Tenant. However, should you have a particularly large garden or any precious plants then it may be advisable to arrange for a gardener - the cost of which should be incorporated in the rental value. It is advisable to provide the materials for maintaining your garden even if the property is unfurnished.

Do I have to provide furniture?

No. Interestingly enough, in most cases we have found that there is very little difference in rental values between furnished and unfurnished lettings. Our staff will advise you on the most appropriate option for your property. An unfurnished property would require carpets, curtains and usually white goods. The requirements for a furnished property can vary depending upon the style and location of your property.

We can also provide furniture packs fo you property at very competitive prices.

Are smoke alarms required?

Smoke alarms have to be installed in any new building or conversion. We would strongly recommend that you install at least one alarm per floor of your property.

We can provide and install on request.

What am I responsible for repairing?

As a Landlord you have a legal obligation under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 to maintain the structure of the building, the sanitation and the supply of services. In addition, should an item in the property require replacing or repairing through fair wear and tear then you would be expected within the terms of the Tenancy Agreement to deal with this.

We also have a maintenance team that can carry out the works required. Please ask for more details.

Do I need to tell my mortgage company that I'm letting my property?

Yes, you'll normally find that there is a clause in your mortgage agreement which makes this a requirement but it is rare nowadays for your lender to object to your request.

What about all the various safety regulations that I hear about?

We will keep you advised of any current or future legislation that affects your property and guide you through

Self Let Clients

Where will my ad appear?

Your property will appear on more than one hundred top UK property portals, including Rightmove, Zoopla, FindaProperty, Gumtree, Prime Location and Globrix.

How do I list my property with Big Red House?

Firstly, you'll need to register your details along with details of the property to be let. Secondly, choose which extra add on services you require. You will then be prompted to pay for the options chosen. Once this has been done you will then be contacted by a Big Red House member of staff to arrange for the marketing particulars of the property to be completed. Once this has all been completed we can then begin with the marketing of the property.

What does it cost?

For more information on the Self Let prices and add on options please CLICK HERE

Can you arrange for the property to be let and deal with the tenant for me?

Yes, we offer a number of additional services that can be chosen at the beginning. We can provide you with as much or as little support as you need. The following options can be chosen to support you - for more information on these, please CLICK HERE.

Can you manage my property for more me further down the line?

Yes, of course. If for whatever reason you feel this option may suit you better you can switch from our Self Let option to our Full Management option. Please contact us to discuss and arrange for this to be done.

Can you help with property maintenance?

As an additional option, BRH can provide all tenants with a 0800 freephone helpline number operational 24 hours per day 365 days per year.  BRH's standard hourly labour rates for maintenance and repair are available on request.  Cost of materials and any additional charges will be assessed on a case by case basis. 

Do I need insurance or other legal assistance for my rental property?

You require landlord property insurance to let your property. For more information on the options available please CLICK HERE.